About the Program
Every year since 2000, the winner of the Kobe Jazz Vocalist Queen Contest held in Kobe’s Shinkaichi neighborhood, the birthplace of Japanese jazz, has visited Seattle to perform at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley. In 2005, the SKSCA launched a reciprocal program: a contest to send two female jazz vocalists from Seattle to perform in Kobe! Two vocalists are selected, one high school student and one adult. The semifinalists are chosen based on their applications and taped performances. They perform in a live competition at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley in the spring. The winners of this final competition win an expenses-paid trip to Kobe to perform at the Shikaichi Music Street Jazz Vocalist Queen Contest held in Kobe in the fall.
The 14th Annual Seattle-Kobe Female Jazz Vocalist Audition
The Seattle-Kobe Sister City Association (SKSCA) is pleased to announce the 14th Annual Seattle-Kobe Female Jazz Vocalist Audition. The SKSCA will send one high school student and one adult female jazz vocalist from the greater Seattle area to Kobe, Japan in May 2018 to be a guest singer at the 19th Annual Kobe Shinkaichi Jazz Vocal Queen Contest.
Every fall for the last 18 years the winner of the Kobe Shinkaichi Jazz Vocal Queen Contest — held in Kobe — has flown to Seattle to make her U.S. debut at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley. Thirteen years ago, SKSCA began holding a jazz vocalist audition as the reciprocal component of this exchange. We are now proud to be hosting our 14th jazz audition.
Finalists will be selected by early March and will be invited to give a live audition at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley on Monday, March 19, 2018 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Family, friends, and community members are encouraged to come and support the finalists. The ticket price is $15.00 with proceeds supporting this and future Seattle-Kobe jazz auditions. ($6.00 of the ticket price is the Jazz Alley service fee.)
The two winners will be guest vocalists at the 18th Annual Kobe Shinkaichi Jazz Vocal Queen Contest held on May 12, 2018 in Seattle’s sister city, Kobe, Japan. (Back-up musicians will be provided.)
Grand Prize Winners will receive:
- Round-trip tickets to Kansai International Airport in Osaka (one for each winner and one for the guardian of the high school winner).
- Lodging for 4 nights in Kobe (winner and guardian in same hotel room).
- Some meals for the 4-day stay in Kobe (for winner and guardian). *Most meals/snacks, souvenirs and additional expenses are the responsibility of the winners.
- Airport transfers/ground transportation in Kobe.
Eligibility: Applicants must (1) be a female high school student or adult 18 years or older, (2) reside in the greater Seattle area and (3) be able to represent Seattle in Kobe, Japan.
Audition Schedule & Requirements
(1) January 30, 2018: Audition Application and Audition Fee Due – Submit your application online along with recordings of two songs for finalist selection. Then pay the application fee of $20.00 by using the form field and “Donate” button below.
(2) March 1, 2018: Finalist Notification Finalists will be notified by email.
(3) March 19, 2018: Live Audition Live audition at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley on Monday March 6, 2018, 6:30-9:30pm. Grand Prize: Guest vocal performance in Kobe, Japan – Perform two tunes of contrasting jazz styles – May bring ONE accompanist (pianist, guitarist, etc.) – Each finalist will have a total of 12 minutes to set up, perform, and leave the stage. – Performances will be judged on technical and artistic merit. – Valid passport (must bring passport or copy of passport photo page to event)
(4) May 12, 2018: Grand Prize Performance in Japan! Perform at the Kobe Shinkaichi Jazz Vocal Queen Contest in Kobe! You’ll enjoy round-trip travel from SeaTac to Kobe, 4 nights lodging, some meals, and airport transfers/ground transportation in Kobe.
SKSCA is grateful to our Jazz Audition sponsors:
For questions or more information contact: email@example.com
- Q: What kind of proof do I need regarding my passport by the audition date?
- Show us your unexpired passport or an original or current passport application at the time of audition registration. If you haven’t applied for a passport, note that you will likely need to expedite your passport so that you receive it in time for departure.
- Q: By when do I need to submit my application?
- Applications submitted after 11:59 pm on the deadline date will be disqualified.
- Q: Am I able to receive feedback on my song submissions or audition results?
- No, we do not provide feedback because the selection committee is made up of volunteers. We recommend that you attend one of the auditions to hear those who have been selected for the audition.
- Q: What type of audio file should I submit?
- Please only submit audio files using Quicktime or mp3. No videos.
- Q: May I take side trips in Japan or elsewhere?
- Sankei Travel, one of our sponsors, arranges the winners’ airline tickets. It is fine to extend your stay in Japan but winners are responsible for paying the cost difference directly to Sankei Travel.
- Q: Are there any expectations of the winner after returning from Kobe?
- 1. Submit a short article about your experience in Kobe with a photo of you performing in Kobe.
- 2. Speak to the audience at both Kobe jazz events (Kobe Jazz Day with the Kobe Jazz Queen and the 2018 audition) as well as sing with the Kobe Jazz Queen while judges deliberate to select the next winners of the Seattle Kobe Female Jazz Vocalist Audition.
Jazz Audition Winners
|2017||Nikki Dee||Tiia Freeman|
|2016||LaVon Hardison||Kristina Buno|
|2015||Taylor Zickefoose||Alexandra Mountsier|
|2014||Jennifer Kienzle||Laura Rosok|
|2013||Leah Natale||Sofia Smith|
|2012||Nancy Erickson||Taylor Zickefoose|
|2011||Jacqueline Tabor||Kelila Gottlieb|
|2010||Kelly Eisenhour||Ariel Pocock|
|2009||Greta Matassa||Katherine Stuber|
|2008||Karen Shivers||Siobhan Bruggers|
|2007||Emily Meyer||Jennifer Hoyt|
|2006||Gail Pettis||Courtney Fortune|
|2005||Kelley Johnson||Isabella du Graf|